Most professional service organizations do not have a performance management system in place that measures firm productivity across the production, delivery and promotion of services, and identify corrective actions that are required. As a result, professional service firms cannot identify and improve consistently limiting factors such as unproductive processes, communication break-downs, unmotivated and ill-prepared staff.
In order to improve productivity firms must develop an innovative approach to performance management, which helps companies operationalize their strategic priorities. This is not easy and hence innovation is required to deal with organizational constraints:
- Find effective ways to cascade the firm’s strategic priorities
- Focus staff on managing efficiently the customer contact points
- Make management more productive by providing information and structure around the key operating areas; production, delivery and promotion.
- Procure data to a single database from where to calculate indicators and produce reports
- Given the complexity of these tasks and lack of experience to deal with such issues, training and guidance is needed. This is a very innovative approach to managing productivity as it aligns the whole organization around key productivity goals.
Participants should be managers from all functions, as all managers are concerned with productivity improvements. All managers will contribute in identifying the firm productivity priorities and devising departmental KPIs.
The objective of the two-day training would be to help participants learn,
- how to set productivity goals
- how to develop a performance management system that operationalizes productivity goals across production, delivery and promotion
- how to manage through a performance management system.
The specific learning outcomes organized by objective are shown below:
- Learn the process of developing such a system and the challenges involved
- Learn how to identify and measure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that can enhance productivity across key processes
- Learn how to identify critical success factors for the company
- Learn how to create linkage across the organization
- Learn how to automate data capturing and data presentation to enhance productivity
- Learn how to improve productivity of the business through a performance management system
- Learn how to focus staff on company priorities
- Learn how to build the right culture – around innovation, initiative and continuous improvement
- Learn how to link with the appraisal system and the budgeting process
- Think out of the box when dealing with organizational issues such as inhibiting staff behaviours and resource constraints
Benefits for your organization
The company specific part will help the company introduce improvements in productivity by identifying problematic areas and developing the goals and an innovative approach to manage performance. Possible areas of improvement are identified below:
- Improve the conceptual framework
- Refine strategic priorities
- Identify key performance indicators
- Create linkage
- Improve ability to measure performance
- Define KPI formulas and agree targets
- Integrating data and ensuring data quality
- Help manage the system most effectively
- Managing departmental performance
- Linking with the appraisal system
Note: This programme includes 14 hours in-class training and a half-day private company consultation.