Institute of Directors (IoD)
The IoD is a Professional Institute which supports, represents and set standards for Business Owners, Directors and Senior Executives since 1903. The IoD development programmes equip leaders with the all-round skills and knowledge needed to strategically direct their organisations. Successful completion of the optional 3-stage learning route provides the prestigious Chartered Director status, the only designation that recognises the professionalism and experience of directors.
As a long-established professional awarding body, the IoD is the only institute in the world to offer internationally recognised qualifications designed by directors for directors under Royal Charter.
Increasing numbers of influential businesses, institutional shareholders and their advisors have continued to recommend IoD qualifications for executive and non-executive directors.
IoD TRAINING BENEFITS
- Learn from course leaders and expert practitioners with unique experience from within the boardroom and wider business community
- Achieve an understanding of best practice and practical application in the workplace
- Experience an interactive workshop approach with real-world case studies, practical examples and scenarios
- Access cutting-edge content underpinned by a solid foundation of professional research and theory
- Take advantage of opportunities for focused peer-learning and networking
IoD DIRECTOR QUALIFICATIONS
By directors for directors
The IoD is the only institute in the world to offer internationally recognised qualifications designed by directors for directors under Royal Charter. IoD qualifications provide development specific to the core competencies required of senior leaders, directors and aspiring directors.
Return on investment
We want you to achieve tangible outcomes from your investment. This is why we ensure our programmes are based on current, real-world scenarios and are immediately applicable at an individual and organisational level.
Benefits of a director qualification
- Consolidate your knowledge, skills and experience with a formal qualification
- Enhance your performance and that of your organisation
- Gain professional recognition and reward for your achievements
- Demonstrate to stakeholders that your organisation upholds the highest professional standards in governance and leadership
- Gain access to an unrivalled peer network and become part of the IoD's prestigious community of alumni
For those pursuing the Chartered Director Qualification, the IoD offers a 3-stage learning experience:
- Stage 1: Certificate in Company Direction
- Stage 2: Diploma in Company Direction
- Stage 3: Chartered Director
Participants may opt out from pursuing these qualifications and can attend the Stage 1 for attaining the benefit of the IoD learning experience.
Certificate in Company Direction (Stage 1)
If you are newly appointed, aspire to a seat on the board, or want to improve performance with fresh insight, the IoD Certificate in Company Direction qualification will equip you with the core knowledge needed to perform effectively as a director.
The programme covers the key areas of governance, finance, strategy and leadership in four core modules providing you with a foundation in effective directorship.
Each module may be studied independently or taken as part of the full qualification. On successful completion of the examination you may use the post-nominal designation Cert IoD after your name.
Diploma in Company Direction (Stage 2)
The Diploma in Company Direction provides a unique opportunity to put your skills to the test in a realistic and safe environment as you tackle a real-life boardroom scenario.
In this programme you will act as a board member in a ‘real’ organisation facing a variety of typical issues and crises. You will gain handson experience and feedback on your own performance that will enable you to make a significant impact on your board’s effectiveness while you achieve a world-class qualification.
By the end of the Stage 2 learning experience, you will:
- Explore the board’s role, its dynamic, power, influence and conflicts
- Gain knowledge of important topics including risk and crisis management; decision-making; mergers and acquisitions; and board performance
- Apply relevant techniques and tools to improve personal skills and that of the board
- Evaluate and improve the performance of your board, its committees and individual directors
On successful completion of the examination you may use the post-nominal designation Dip IoD after your name.
Chartered Director (Stage 3)
The Chartered Director qualification demonstrates your knowledge, skills and experience, showing that you are able to:
- Improve the board’s effectiveness and your personal contribution
- Adopt a common set of business principles and vocabulary
- Champion standards of good, ethical governance and best practice for boards
- Demonstrate strategic leadership and take a long-term view of opportunities, risks and challenges
- Act independently with judgement and integrity
- Build trust with stakeholders in working for their best interests
The Chartered Director qualification comprises a peer interview to assess your practical experience as a director.
The assessment is based on five key areas which are central to organisational direction and governance. The interview is conducted by two Chartered Directors. The questions are available to candidates to allow adequate preparation.
On successful completion you can use the post-nominal designation CDir.
CIIM and IoD Cyprus
CIIM has been recognised by the IoD as the Regional Training Partner and has received the prestigious accreditation to offer the IoD Development Programmes in Cyprus since 2012.
IoD Cyprus was established on the 25th October 1972 under the Chairmanship of Mr N.G. Demetriou, a former Minister in the Cyprus Government and Dr G Vassiliou, a former President of the Cyprus Republic was the Honorary Secretary. Since then IoD Cyprus has become an influential voice in Cyprus and has successfully provided opportunities for senior executives from the business community, financial institutions and the public sector to come together in environments that provoke discussions between peers on subjects relevant to their business needs.
IoD members in Cyprus become parts of an influential membership organisation with a growing network of business leaders across Europe. IoD members can enjoy an exclusive range of business benefits and services to support them and their organisations in Cyprus, including free access to prestigious premises when on business in the UK, in Paris or in Brussels.