Competitive Dynamics and Strategic Marketing
Registration Deadline: 13 June 2018
Training Dates: 20 & 22 June 2018
Training Hours: 08:30 - 17:00
Location: CIIM Nicosia ( View Map )
Language of Instruction: English
The business environment is becoming increasingly competitive as market growth slows, competition moves across national boundaries, and customers become sophisticated. In Europe in particular more and more companies are finding profitability extremely difficult to achieve. In these circumstances it is important to understand the market place factors that affect profitability, and how to manage customers and competitors, so that a business continues to flourish and does not fall into the trap of “profitless prosperity”. This is the overall aim of the programme. It will deal with issues such as managing high and low-market share businesses, building effective differentiation, developing segmentation, the need to avoid “smokestack” industries and focus on knowledge intensive businesses.
The specific objectives of the programme are to ensure that course participants:
- Understand the relationship between market structure and profitability
- Know how to evaluate buyer behaviour
- Have a framework for competitor analysis
- Recognise the importance of competitor cost analysis and understand how to do it
- Appreciate the importance of customer satisfaction, customer loyalty and value perception
- Are aware of the limitations, and common dangers with, C.R.M.
- Understand trends in pricing (particularly in the E.U.) and how to develop an effective pricing strategy
- Recognise the fundamental strategic characteristics of their own businesses
- Understand the implications of these characteristics for future management of these businesses
- Develop an appreciation of the way in which the business environment is changing
The course is intended for senior management both those who have direct responsibility for the profitability of their business, and those who need to understand the market place factors that influence profitability. As such, it is designed for C.E.O.’s, business unit managers, marketing and other functional directors.
Topics to be covered
- Market and Customer Analysis
- market structure and profitability, life cycle analysis, buyer behaviour
- Competitor Analysis
- Importance of competitor analysis
- Common Mistakes in Market Analysis
- Understanding Cost Behaviour
- competitor cost analysis, benefits of scale and focus
- How companies lose cost advantage
- Building Customer Loyalty
- value perception rather than customer satisfaction
- Profit impact of customer retention
- Customer Relationship Management
- Why C.R.M. frequently fails
- How to avoid the pit-falls
- Developing Pricing Strategy
- Importance, Framework, Trends, Mistakes Value based pricing
- Case Feedback and Discussion
- Categorising Businesses by Salient Strategic Characteristics
- Description of four types of business
- Participants need to identify to which of the above four categories their business belongs
- Managing the Different Types of Business
- When and how to go for market share, market segmentation
- How to manage a high-share business
- When and how to develop a strategy of accommodation
- When to exit a market
- Effective and ineffective differentiation
- Difference between marketing and strategic segmentation
- Trends in the 21st Century
- Implications for Cypriot businesses
All CIIM Executive Education programmes are developed and taught by CIIM resident and visiting faculty who are widely recognised as skilled professional trainers with local and international business experience. Through many years of business consulting and teaching experience, CIIM faculty develop innovative long-lasting practical concepts that shape the practice of your daily professional responsibilities. The result is a practical educational experience which is designed to have an immediate effect in your business environment.
Dr. Paris Cleanthous
Dr. Cleanthous is an Associate Professor of Marketing and Strategy at the Cyprus International Institute of Management (CIIM). He is also the Director of the MBA and MPSM programmes at CIIM.
Prior to his appointment at CIIM, he was an Assistant Professor of Marketing at New York University’s Stern School of Business and a Lecturer at the University of Cyprus. He has also held positions at the International Monetary Fund, KPMG and Korea University.
Dr. Cleanthous received his Bachelor of Science in Economics and Mathematics from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He then continued his studies at Yale University where he received his Master of Arts, Master of Philosophy and Doctor of Philosophy in Economics. His fields of teaching and research are strategic innovation, marketing strategy, competitive advertising and market research.
He has consultancy experience in market research, product innovation, new product targeting, positioning and promotion. He also has consultancy experience in governmental and academic forums.
The programme has been approved by the HRDA (ΑνΑΔ). Organisations registered in Cyprus, who satisfy the HRDA criteria, are entitled to apply for the subsidy and therefore their emolument will be the net fee, as described below:
Gross Fee (before subsidy): €550
HRDA Subsidy: €238*
Net Fee (after subsidy): €312*
No VAT is charged due to CIIM’s non-profit status. Fees include tuition, educational materials, lunch, coffee-breaks and refreshments.
To proceed with your registration, please click the button below to apply online. Participation is subject to availability.