Certificate in Financial Services
Despite the economic crisis that we are experiencing, the Financial Services in Cyprus has proved to be a robust sector that is continuously growing and improving. Therefore, the demands of the sector and the competition have been increasing as well.
The aim of this programme is to provide the tools and knowledge that is needed for a professional to get a head-start in this competitive industry. It includes five areas of specialization: Risk Management, Portfolio Management, Compliance, Supervision, and Financial Reporting, Fund Structuring, and Analysis of FX and Binary Option Markets.
Risk Management deals first with the understanding of risks that firms are exposed and then learning the different techniques used to mitigate those risks. Portfolio Management examines the concepts of asset allocation, diversification, and the creation of diversified portfolios. Compliance, Supervision, and Financial Reporting deals with the understanding of the regulatory landscape in Cyprus and abroad and how this has changed in recent years. Fund Structuring deals with an understanding the global fund industry, the prospects for Cyprus, and the requirements for setting up such funds. Finally, the Analysis of FX and Binary Option Markets deals with the rapidly expanding local market, how it functions, the instruments traded, and its prospects.
This programme has been jointly developed by the Cyprus International Institute of Management (CIIM) and FINCAP Advisers Ltd.
Date/Time: 30 May & 1, 6, 8, 13, 15, 20, 22, 27, 29 June 2017, 18:15 - 22:00
Training Duration: 35 training hours over 10 days
Location: CIIM Limassol ( View Map )
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
This training programme will introduce to you to the types of risks to international business and take away a practical tool kit to measure and mitigate risk used by risk management professionals.
You will learn how to allocate assets, construct portfolios, measure, monitor and rebalance portfolio performance and well as understand the regulatory requirements under MIFID. You will also appreciate Cyprus investment laws and the CySEC derivatives.
In addition, you will attain an overview of the global fund industry and the essential requirements needed to set up a fund in Cyprus. Lastly, you will learn the mechanics and operations of the FX and binary option market and practice risk management in the FX and binary option industry.
- To recognise the various types of risk to international business
- To Design and apply methods and tools used by risk management professionals
- Examine the requirements of the regulatory authorities
- To recognize the types of funds
- Become aware of the requirements, fees and timing, management and shareholders rights
- Become aware of fund reporting and prospectus
- Understand taxation
- Consider marketing and capital raising methods
- Examine Real cases
Analysis of Currency Markets
- Understand the history and evolution of the currency market
- Consider the foreign exchange risk
- Interest rate risk
- Foreign Exchange and interest rate instruments/derivatives
- Consider hedging techniques
- Fundamental analysis
- Technical analysis
Regulatory Compliance of Investment Services Providers
- Consider the central compliance obligations of Investment Firms pursuant to The Law which provides for the provision of investment services, the exercise of investment activities, the operation of regulated markets and other related matters of 2007 and the MiFID II Directive, and relevant CySEC Directives
- Consider the prohibitions of insider trading and market manipulation contained in The EU Market Abuse Regulation of 2014, The Market Abuse Law of 2016 (Cyprus), the Law for the Criminalization of Market Abuse of 2017 (Cyprus), their extent and operation, as well as the listed issuers’ obligations to publish confidential information
- Examine the obligations of Investment Firms and their AML Officers pursuant to The Prevention and Suppression of Money Laundering Activities Law of 2007, the 4th EU AML Directive, and the relevant CySEC Directive
- Look at the CySEC powers of collection of information and investigation of offences, and how to deal with CySEC requests and investigations
- Critically discuss the notion of risk and return
- Examine the portfolio management process
- Apply modern portfolio theory to optimize portfolios
- Look at how to manage portfolios for individuals
- Look at how to manage portfolios for institutional investors
- Examine asset allocation
- Examine monitoring and rebalancing
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This training workshop is suitable for professionals working in the Financial Services sector who need to expand their knowledge and skills so as to perform effectively - investment firms, administrative service providers, fund management and administration, banking sector, insurance sector, etc.
All CIIM Executive Education programmes are developed and taught by CIIM resident and visiting faculty who are widely recognised as skilled professional trainers with local and international business experience. Through many years of business consulting and teaching experience, CIIM faculty develop innovative long-lasting practical concepts that shape the practice of your daily professional responsibilities. The result is a practical educational experience which is designed to have an immediate effect into your business environment.
George Theocharides is an Associate Professor of Finance and the Programme Director of the MSc in Financial Services at the Cyprus International Institute of Management (CIIM) in Nicosia, Cyprus. He is also the Chairman of the Board of Management of The English School, Nicosia. Currently, he is also a member of the Training/HR Committee of the Cyprus Investment Fund Association (CIFA), and a board member of the Cyprus-Kuwait Business Association. In the past, he served as a member of the Interim Board of Bank of Cyprus, chairman of the Recapitalisation Committee, and member of the Audit Committee and CISCO Ltd, as well as a non-executive member of the Board of Directors of the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC).
Dr. Theocharides holds a B. Eng. (Hons) degree in Electrical Engineering and Electronics from University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (U.M.I.S.T.), an M.B.A. degree (in Marketing and Venture Management) from the University of San Diego, as well as a Ph.D. in Finance from the University of Arizona. Before joining CIIM, he spent almost four years as an Assistant Professor of Finance at the Graduate School of Business at Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul, Korea. Prior to that, he served as an International Faculty Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s Sloan School of Management between August and December 2006.
Dr. Theocharides research and teaching interests are in the field of fixed-income markets, investments, international finance, and derivatives. He has provided numerous in-house and open seminars in finance-related topics in Cyprus and abroad.
Demetris A. Tsingis holds a BSc in Government & Economics from the LSE, an MBA in Finance and Entrepreneurial Management from Wharton Business School and is the Founder/Managing Partner at FINCAP Advisers Ltd. He is a Fellow Chartered Accountant (FCA), a member of the Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment (MCSI), a member of the ICPAC Financial Services sub-committee and a holder of the ICPAC practicing certificate, a member of the Cypriot Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) Education sub-committee, an advanced licence holder by the Cyprus Securities & Exchange Commission (CySEC) and an approved and active CF10 Compliance and CF11 AML Compliance from the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). He is an approved External Trainer by the HRDA and a licensed Mediator and Insolvency Practitioner in Cyprus.
He is a Local Councilor of the Strovolos Municipality, a Board Member of the Nicosia Sewerage Board and the Founding President of the Kuwait – Cyprus Business Association Board of the CCCI. He further served as Chairman of the Board of Directors of COOP Strovolou.
Demetris A. Tsingis has extensive experience by working with and for investment banks, private banks, investment funds, investment firms and has dealt with regulators such as the FCA, SEC, CySEC and CBC. His experience spans from mergers & acquisitions and LBO valuations, to private equity & venture capital, to portfolio management, to licensing, Risk Management, Compliance and AML Compliance, to audit and to business plan preparations. He is also a Fellow of Entrepreneurship lecturing at CIIM since 2006 and a lecturer in the Cyprus Entrepreneurship Competition since 2007.
Constantinos Papanastasiou has over 17 years of experience in investment banking and financial services and currently holds the position of the Senior Manager - Fund Services in an International Banking institution. Previously he was heading the Investment Banking in one of the leading financial institutions in Cyprus.
Mr. Papanastasiou is also a Member of the Board of Directors of the Natural Gas Public Company (DEFA) Limited and a Member of the Board of Directors of the Cyprus Investment Funds Association (CIFA). He is also a Lecturer for various professional courses at the Cyprus International Institute of Management (CIIM) including the CFA Program and the CF Program.
He also formerly served as President of the CFA Society of Cyprus and as a Member of the Board of Directors of Cyprus Airways Public Limited.
Mr. Papanastasiou is a Charter Financial Analyst Charterholder from the CFA Institute, and also holds a Corporate Finance Qualification from the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, a Certificate and Diploma in Company Direction from the Institute of Directors UK, and the advanced certificate from CySEC for the provision of investment services.
He holds a B.Sc. (Econ) in Economics and Statistics from University College London and a M.Phil Finance from the University of Cambridge, Pembroke College.
Nicos Pavlides studied Economics and then Law at the University of Sydney. After two years work for the Office of Director of Public Prosecutions in Sydney, he became a Chevening scholar for postgraduate studies in the United Kingdom, and studied at the London School of Economics and the University College of London from where he obtained a Master of Laws degree. His postgraduate studies focused on International Finance Law, Banking Law and Competition Law. During his studies in London he was also working on a part time basis for the Crown Prosecution Service, principally on cases of economic crime.
He returned to Cyprus in 2003, and in 2004 he joined the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (‘CySEC’) legal department. His duties at the CySEC included the provision of legal advice on supervision and regulation of the securities market, on the investigation of possible breaches of the securities laws and enforcement measures, as well as advising on the reform and development of the securities regulatory regime (as for example in the area of anti-money laundering legislation).
Since 2008, Nicos Pavlides holds the position of Legal, Compliance and Secretarial Manager of SFS Group. In addition, he is the Group Compliance Officer for the listed company SFS Group. His other duties include the provision of legal advice and opinions to the companies of SFS Group and legal support to the departments on various capital markets and company laws issues, as for e.g. compliance matters for the investment firm of SFS Group, client agreements, legal aspects of prospectuses for listing of securities and information memorandums for shipping funds.
Programme Fee: €955
HRDA Subsidy: €595*
Programme Fee after HRDA subsidy: €360*
*This programme has been approved by the HRDA. Organisations participating with their employees, who satisfy the HRDA's criteria, are entitled to the subsidy.
Due to CIIM's non-profit status, no VAT is charged. Fees include tuition, educational material, coffee breaks and refreshments.
- 10% discount for 3 registered employees attending from the same organisation
- 15% discount for 4 registered employees attending from the same organisation
- For larger group bookings from the same organisation please contact us
- CIIM Students and Alumni who will attend the programme without participating through their organisations will benefit from a 25% discount on the fee before subsidy and can remit their payment in instalments. CIIM Students and Alumni attending as employees of a company and will apply to the subsidy, will benefit from a 15% discount on the net fee of the programme. Please contact us for further information.
- Unemployed individuals will benefit from a 15% discount on the fee before subsidy and can remit their payment in instalments. Please contact us for further information.
To proceed with your registration, please click the button below to apply online. Reservation of seat is subject to availability.